In 1920, late Mr.Salehbhai Kaderbhai Khalil, established the company in Kolkata (then calcutta), in the name of THE CALCUTTA IRON & STEEL COMPANY. He was the sole proprietor of the company at the time of establishment. In January 1953, the company in its present name, THE CALCUTTA IRON & STEEL CO. PVT. LTD., was established, having its Head and Registered office in Mumbai (then Bombay) and its Branch Office in Kolkata (then Calcutta). The founder chairman of the company was late shri Salehbhai Kaderbhai Khalil.